• All Activity

baby full month
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I am a Singaporean, I like to know to give full month baby red packet to a HK colleague, what the reasonable amount? Do i need to follow the "Lai see" give 2 red packet thing?

Thank you so much !

I am a Singaporean, I like to know to give full month baby red packet to a HK colleague, what the reasonable amount? Do i need to follow the "Lai see" give 2 red packet thing?

Thank you so much !

Hello 貓王, it depends on situation, like whether you're invited to the full month banquet, or just a visit to your colleague's home? If you're invited to the banquet, then a red pocket of at least HKD500 (per attending person) is standard; If you're just visiting his/her home to see the baby, then HKD100-200 is OK, or can give gift (e.g. diapers, mannings/watsons gift vouchers, toys, clothes....etc) instead of red pocket. 

The 2 red packets rule is used when the receiver knows both of the couple. If you and your partner attend the banquet together (even your HK colleague didn't know your partner before), you can also give 2 packets. Otherwise, just 1 is OK. 

Hi, Thanks ! No,no invitation to meal or home. he only sent us his new born photos and so I tot good to Bless him a red pkt on full mth. So for this what the best ? I only know need to follow some lucky numbers and avoid 4. hee hee

Hi, Thanks ! No,no invitation to meal or home. he only sent us his new born photos and so I tot good to Bless him a red pkt on full mth. So for this what the best ? I only know need to follow some lucky numbers and avoid 4. hee hee

Ok, so in this situation then I think a red pocket of HKD100 or a gift (e.g. clothes, toys, drugstore voucher...etc.) is suitable. Or you may ask if other colleagues intend to gift the new born then you may join them to share cost of buying a bigger gift or higher value of drugstore voucher. Btw, are you working in HK? :) 

no,physically, but via cyber, i work with the HK team. Hopefully, my first work travel in july hopefully is SHZ so I can visit HK soon ! catcha ya !

no,physically, but via cyber, i work with the HK team. Hopefully, my first work travel in july hopefully is SHZ so I can visit HK soon ! catcha ya !

Oic! Then how you pass the red pocket to your HK colleague? 

usually,i get local colleagues to pass them things whenever they travel to other countries or when overseas colleagues comes to SGP office and last resort is by courier ! if i cfm gg there, i will let u know. then u can let me know if u need anything from SGP

Oh that's a very good "cooperation" between colleagues! Then actually you can also follow the Singaporean way to give the red pocket/gift to your HK colleague, because you are not physically here in HK but in SG, it's a kind of cultural exchange if you gift him in SG way~ Just my suggestion :) So how Singaporean usually gift to full month baby? Is it similar to HK way? Just curious to know :P

i prefer to give red packets cos its better utilised than getting what they won't like or already have. I don't see lai see (give 2 separate red packet as couples) practice in my cantonese in laws family. gifts or red packets quite similiar. some might not be following the auspicious numbers here. I am not good with traditional customs so I usually ask around to ensure Im doing the correct formalities.

if I dun hv to follow auspicious number, 2, 3, 8 or 9 for HK in the full month baby case, then i go w 200.

i prefer to give red packets cos its better utilised than getting what they won't like or already have. I don't see lai see (give 2 separate red packet as couples) practice in my cantonese in laws family. gifts or red packets quite similiar. some might not be following the auspicious numbers here. I am not good with traditional customs so I usually ask around to ensure Im doing the correct formalities.

if I dun hv to follow auspicious number, 2, 3, 8 or 9 for HK in the full month baby case, then i go w 200.

Yep, no need to follow the lucky number in this case. Just avoid 4 then I think it's OK.

what occasions do i need to follow lucky number?

Hm... normally we only avoid 4, and we usually give amount round up to ten & hundred or thousand so we only care about the 1st digit that is not 4 then it should be OK.