• All Activity

Free or paid Cantonese opera performances?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, we will be visiting Hong Kong for the first time in September. We would like to see a Cantonese opera performance. We were thinking of seeing a free Cantonese opera excerpt at the Heritage museum or something similar. Or is it best seeing a paid Cantonese opera performance? There are a couple performances now available for reservation, at Tai Po civic theatre and Ko Shan. Just not sure if we should go ahead with making reservations, or wait until The Sunbeam Theatre releases their September programme and see what Cantonese opera performances they have on offer.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you!!!

Hi, we will be visiting Hong Kong for the first time in September. We would like to see a Cantonese opera performance. We were thinking of seeing a free Cantonese opera excerpt at the Heritage museum or something similar. Or is it best seeing a paid Cantonese opera performance? There are a couple performances now available for reservation, at Tai Po civic theatre and Ko Shan. Just not sure if we should go ahead with making reservations, or wait until The Sunbeam Theatre releases their September programme and see what Cantonese opera performances they have on offer.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you!!!

I would suggest you to see the free excerpt at Heritage Museum first if you haven't seen any Cantonese Opera before, or if you're really interested in seeing a full version then you may make a reservations in advance. Not sure if you visited this website, but just FYI: http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/CulturalService/Programme/en/chinese_opera/index.html Hope it helps :)

Thanks for that. :) If I read correctly, an admission slip is required for the Cantonese opera performances/excerpts at Heritage museum. Because we won't be in the area until the afternoon the excerpt is due to be, I wonder if there is any other way we could request for them to hold two tickets for us? Can this be done through the hotel? Thank you!

Thanks for that. :) If I read correctly, an admission slip is required for the Cantonese opera performances/excerpts at Heritage museum. Because we won't be in the area until the afternoon the excerpt is due to be, I wonder if there is any other way we could request for them to hold two tickets for us? Can this be done through the hotel? Thank you!

I think you have to be there in order to get the admission slip in person, and thus it's impossible for hotel to help 'coz they need the museum admission ticket...

Bummer, thanks for that...trying to figure out another way to get them!

Might end up going to a paid Cantonese opera performance. ;)

Do you know when The Sunbeam Theatre usually updates their programme? They are only showing July and August. I imagine September programme would be available early August? I have tried contacting them with no luck. Thanks!

Bummer, thanks for that...trying to figure out another way to get them!

Might end up going to a paid Cantonese opera performance. ;)

Do you know when The Sunbeam Theatre usually updates their programme? They are only showing July and August. I imagine September programme would be available early August? I have tried contacting them with no luck. Thanks!

Sorry as I haven't seen a Chinese opera before, I don't know when they normally update their programme...  -_-  Maybe wait for a week or two and see if there is new programme schedule coming up. Otherwise you may consider opera shown in other theatres or just try your luck at the Heritage Museum.