• All Activity

5D4N in HK only.
1 1

35 posts in this topic

If you will visit 4 seasons claypot again, try the beef brisket in a very small shop, no shop name and the door is like a secret entrance to somewhere. You must see people queuing for it.

Just got back from HK a few days back. Nearly missed my plane on the way back. Haha.

Well, the trip went along smoothly, except slight oversight that the HK Museum of History

is closed every Tuesday. Cut short my Oceanpark visit to give the museum a one hour

visit. It was worth it.

Overall, the trip was ok. A LOT OF intensive walking. The Octopus card was really convinient.

But personally, I think HK food is a bit over-rated. Service level also a bit low. Met many

rude people in HK. But of course, we cannot say HK people are rude as a whole. I did meet

some kind, friendly HK people on the street. Personally, I prefer Japan as a tourist destination.

Next, I'll give Taiwan a try.

Just got back from HK a few days back. Nearly missed my plane on the way back. Haha.

Well, the trip went along smoothly, except slight oversight that the HK Museum of History

is closed every Tuesday. Cut short my Oceanpark visit to give the museum a one hour

visit. It was worth it.

Overall, the trip was ok. A LOT OF intensive walking. The Octopus card was really convinient.

But personally, I think HK food is a bit over-rated. Service level also a bit low. Met many

rude people in HK. But of course, we cannot say HK people are rude as a whole. I did meet

some kind, friendly HK people on the street. Personally, I prefer Japan as a tourist destination.

Next, I'll give Taiwan a try.

Hi Futobuta, thanks very much for your sharing and comments on your HK trip experience!!

You're right, we HKgers do walk A LOT everyday, hahaa... so basically I can walk a whole day sightseeing+shopping from 8:30 till 22:30 during my previous Japan trip, hohoho~ Hm... I also heard a lot of negative comments on rude attitude and manner of HK people especially those staff in local cha charn teng (particularly old style one). They always urge customers to place order, deliver your order rudely and yell all the time. I could only say this is also a kind of culture in HK. They don't do this to tourists only, they do this to us locals too, so we're used to it... :P 

Japan is of coz way much better than HK as I was astonished by their amazingly nice attitude and courteous gesture to all people during my first few visits there. However, after a few more visits I just feel it's their culture (or rather say it's their habit?) to treat others good but not necessarily act from their hearts... Well, it's just my very own personal thoughts.

Yep, Taiwan is very worth for a visit, I love that places very much, no matter it's the place or the people or the food~! ^_^

Overall, it was a nice trip. 5D4N is a little bit too short to see everything. I am used to walking a lot from my days as a student in Japan.

But my wife...... she had to put in a lot of effort to keep up. I agree that it might be in the HK way of life to be rushing for things.

But the worse are the mainlanders, who tend to be loud and sometimes quite irritating. Especially when they come last minute for the

light display at the Avenue of Stars. They tried to push their way in front. Times like this I feel ashamed to be associated to them by race.

Oceanpark was HUGE! Could hardly cover the whole area. I made 1 really big mistake at Oceanpark, which was to take their rides too

early in the trip. The first ride I took was "The Flash"! It twist n turned so violently that I nearly puked at the end of it. From that point

onwards, I wasn't feeling too well to enjoy the rest of the park. That's why I decided to cut short the visit and head over to the Museum of

History instead. What to do..... have to admit I'm old already.

As for food, I enjoyed the western dishes more than the so-called famous local food.

Could you share which kind of restaurant to avoid? I am planning my trip to Hong Kong next Feb and don't want those rude restaurant staff ruin my travel mood. Thanks!

I'm not in the position to 'advice' you on which restaurant to avoid.

Afterall, I've only been to HK once! Haha. Like I said, I prefer those

serving western food. Of my visits to those restaurants, the

experience tend to be more pleasant than those at those 'famous'

local eateries. The BLT Steak (if I remembered the name correctly)

is quite nice, considering you get a view (slight) of the harbour.

Walking in Harbour City was tiring..... it is SO HUGE!!!!

They were doing Christmas decorations there, it was nice.

Thank you Futobuta!! I am also in a search for restaurant with a view at affordable price, maybe I can try BLT Steak then. Roughly how much per person for dinner?

I've forgotten how much we paid for it. I think approximately HKD400 per person I think.

The pier of the Star Ferry blocks a bit of the view, so please don't expect that much. Haha.

Eric Kayser next to it was also quite alright, and cheaper too. Food is ok.

Can grab some pastry back to the hotel after that too. There are so many shops

at the Harbour City. Didn't manage to walk the whole place because my legs were

nearing giving way by then!! The lights display (at 8pm) is a bit of a let down.

Personally, I think the mechanical crane display at Sentosa (Singapore) is much better.

Definitely don't miss the HK Museum of History. They've done it up very nicely.

I've forgotten how much we paid for it. I think approximately HKD400 per person I think.

The pier of the Star Ferry blocks a bit of the view, so please don't expect that much. Haha.

Eric Kayser next to it was also quite alright, and cheaper too. Food is ok.

Can grab some pastry back to the hotel after that too. There are so many shops

at the Harbour City. Didn't manage to walk the whole place because my legs were

nearing giving way by then!! The lights display (at 8pm) is a bit of a let down.

Personally, I think the mechanical crane display at Sentosa (Singapore) is much better.

Definitely don't miss the HK Museum of History. They've done it up very nicely.

BLT steak is a little pricey but provided their good food quality I think it's worth, Al Molo just next to it is nice too, perhaps you can try next time, hehee...

Hahaha... you may need to dedicate 1 whole day for shopping around in Tsim Sha Tsui!! I'm not kidding! XD

Yes, as I also told our forum members that Symphony of Lights show is rather (extremely) boring, I am not kidding too... I brought all my overseas friends who visited HK to watch the show and none of them could stay till the end of the show. :P 

Some museums do worth a visit indeed. I personally also like the Science Museum and Art Museum very much. :)

Thank you Futobuta, your information is very helpful! HK$400 is out of my budget, I may pick the Vietnamese restaurant suggested by other member instead.