• All Activity

5D4N in HK only.
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Hi, me and my wife are planning a trip to HK this coming Sunday for 5D4N.

We will arrive at 10am and we're staying at a hotel near Yau Ma Tei station.

Kindly suggest the best way to get there. I was told to get all the tickets for

HK Disneyland, Oceanpark, the Peak Tram combo tickets at the airport to

avoid the hassle later. Should I do that?

The plans for the trip are as follow:

Day 1 - Reach hotel, check-in, proceed to Central, eat lunch at Tim Ho Wan.

Then proceed to the Tram up the Peak. Then go Madame Tussad. Then go

up view the deck. Then go back down.... and go to Lan Kwai Fong. Dinner

there maybe. Any good place to eat there? After dinner might want to proceed

to Golden Bauhinia square. Stroll around there, then head back to Yau Ma Tei.

If time permits, get down at Jordan and walk back to Yau Ma Tei along Temple

Street.

Day 2 - Disneyland.... that's it. Haha. Any suggestions for lunch n dinner?

Day 3 - Morning go Wong Tai Sin. Then head back to Tsim Tsar Tsui. Go Harbour

City walk around. Then lunch, then head to the HK Museum of History. Then

to the Avenue of Stars at 8pm. Then walk to the Clock tower. Then dinner (suggestions

again please). Then head back to hotel.

Day 4 - Oceanpark only. Suggestions for meals too. Since it is a weekday and

oceanpark ends early, maybe we'll go to Ladies street too.

Day 5 - Our flight is at 1pm, so what time do you think we should depart from Yau

Ma Tei?

Kindly advice. Thanks!!

Hi Futobuta, 

Of coz if you get all the tickets at the airport, it will save you a lot of time for queuing up just to get a ticket at the entrance, except Peak Tram as you have to queue for getting on the tram if there are many people, but at least you save time for queue up to buy the tickets. For transportation to your hotel, you may take bus A21 directly from the HKIA to Yau Ma Tei. As I don't know the exactly location of your hotel, it may take a bit of walk from the bus stop to your hotel. Click the A21 link in this webpage for detailed bus stop location: http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/airport-bus/route/index.aspx?intLangID=1

Street.

The plan is smooth and alright. For dinner near Lan Kwai Fong, you may try Yung Kee if you fancy roasted goose as it's HK's most famous roasted goose restaurant. Address is 32-40 Wellington Street, Central. Or if you prefer a rather economic local meal, try Tsui Wah Restaurant just on the opposite of Yung Kee, which is a very local style cha charn teng.

Hm... For lunch, you must have to have it inside the park. So it depends on your budget and preference, there are quite a lot of choices inside. You may try the newly launched Coca-cola themed Corner Cafe~ See here for list of restaurants inside the park: http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/hkdl/en_US/parks/listing?name=DiningListingPage As for dinner, you may have it near your hotel.

to the Avenue of Stars at 8pm. Then walk to the Clock tower. Then dinner (suggestions

There are just too many options in Tsim Sha Tsui that I could suggest. Please take a look at our food blog and see anything interests you: http://forum.allabouthongkong.com/index.php?/blog/6-all-about-hong-kong-food/ For a no brainer choice, I would suggest Sweet Dynasty on Hankow Road (the blog was written before it moved to Hankow Road, so the look of the entrance is different now).

Again, you have to have your lunch inside the park and you can see here for restaurant listhttp://www.oceanpark.com.hk/html/en/park-experience/dining/ For dinner, you may try Man Wah Restaurant on 153-159 Tung Choi Street, which is also a local style cha charn teng but also offer dim sum. 

Day 5 - Our flight is at 1pm, so what time do you think we should depart from Yau

Ma Tei?

Airlines normally require passengers to check in at least 1 hour before departure (but could be vary among airlines...) It's safer to arrive 2hrs before departure time. So in your case you gotta arrive at 11am, and it takes around 1hr from Yau Ma Tei to HKIA by bus, so it's better to leave your hotel at around 9:30-10:00am. 

Kindly advice. Thanks!!

Thanks for the prompt reply. So u think taking the bus is better than taking the airport express followed by MTR?

What things should I get at the airport? Disney, Oceanpark, Peak combo tickets, Tourist Sim Card for the phone?

What about the so-called Octopus card?

So far, I've allocated about HK$500 per day for meals per person. So I think should be not too bad.

Other than the first day, what about my plans for the remaining 4 days? OK?

Is Hong Kong safe to walk around with my camera around my neck? I wonder should I bring my dslr or just my

compact cameras. I favour the compacts more because their much lighter and doesn't attract too much attention.

Oh yeah, I'm staying at the small budget hotel called Casa Hotel near Yau Ma Tei station.

Thanks for the prompt reply. So u think taking the bus is better than taking the airport express followed by MTR?
Definitely! You have to pull your luggage to interchange MTR line (and squeeze with people) if you take Airport Express Line!

What things should I get at the airport? Disney, Oceanpark, Peak combo tickets, Tourist Sim Card for the phone?
I can't remember if the counter sell all kinds of entrance tickets... just pay attention when you have taken back your luggage, gone through custom checkpoint and entered a walkway towards arrival meet & greet hall, there is a counter just before you walk out to the hall that sell tickets. You can check with staff there. For SIM card, it's not necessary to buy at there since you can buy from every 7-11 stores. 

Buy it at the MTR customer service counter at arrival meet & greet hall. They have counters at both hall A & hall B, and the counter is in round shape, very easy to recognise. Just buy the regular one is OK, HKD150 with HKD50 refundable deposit + HKD100 value inside. Refund it at the same counter before you depart, it only costs HKD9 handling fee for returning it within 3months of issuance. Top up value in any convenient stores like 7-11 or Circle K.

So far, I've allocated about HK$500 per day for meals per person. So I think should be not too bad.
As I've commented in my last reply. If not OK I've already pointed out so don't worry.  :)

Is Hong Kong safe to walk around with my camera around my neck? I wonder should I bring my dslr or just my compact cameras. I favour the compacts more because their much lighter and doesn't attract too much attention.
Hong Kong is a very very safe city and it is what I always do, hanging my DSLR around neck and go here and there, and I also always walk alone even after midnight (p.s. I'm a female). Just be aware of pickpockets in crowded places like Mongkok, so you should have your mobile & wallet kept safe in the bag instead of back pockets of your pants. 

Oh yeah, I'm staying at the small budget hotel called Casa Hotel near Yau Ma Tei station.
That's pretty nice hotel indeed! I heard very positive feedback from one of our facebook fans, so enjoy your stay~ ;) 

On Wellington Street there is a Wanton Noodle Shop called Tsim Chai Kee offering very good deal of noodle, it's under $20/bowl of Wanton Noodle with big big Wanton! Worth a try too.

Hello! I'm not a HK resident but a Malaysian that have been to HK 3x. So I would just pump in something that we have been through during our stay in HK and hope it may helps you decide/ plan better. I'm using "We" representing my husband and I.

Definitely! You have to pull your luggage to interchange MTR line (and squeeze with people) if you take Airport Express Line!

We have been taking the bus A21 downtown from HKIA. It's so convenient and cheaper compare to Airport Express. It's a one-time charge once you're up the bus from HKIA to city. Just use your Octopus Card! So you just need to find out from the Information/ Service Counter at HKIA so the staff can advice you which bus stop to get down to head to your hotel easily.

I can't remember if the counter sell all kinds of entrance tickets... just pay attention when you have taken back your luggage, gone through custom checkpoint and entered a walkway towards arrival meet & greet hall, there is a counter just before you walk out to the hall that sell tickets. You can check with staff there. For SIM card, it's not necessary to buy at there since you can buy from every 7-11 stores.

We have not buy any tickets at the airport to avoid disappointments at those places. So far, our tickets for these places, we just do a queue up. Sometimes the Q may look long, but it's amazingly handled quickly by the HK staffs. But still, it's up to you :)

Buy it at the MTR customer service counter at arrival meet & greet hall. They have counters at both hall A & hall B, and the counter is in round shape, very easy to recognise. Just buy the regular one is OK, HKD150 with HKD50 refundable deposit + HKD100 value inside. Refund it at the same counter before you depart, it only costs HKD9 handling fee for returning it within 3months of issuance. Top up value in any convenient stores like 7-11 or Circle K.

Yes, we bought this card at the airport customer service counter. Convenient to use anywhere in HK; esp 7-11, and for train trips..

That's quite an amount for a day meal. But also depends where you eat. Having more amount allocated for food is definitely better. 

As I've commented in my last reply. If not OK I've already pointed out so don't worry.  :)

Is Hong Kong safe to walk around with my camera around my neck? I wonder should I bring my dslr or just my compact cameras. I favour the compacts more because their much lighter and doesn't attract too much attention.
Hong Kong is a very very safe city and it is what I always do, hanging my DSLR around neck and go here and there, and I also always walk alone even after midnight (p.s. I'm a female). Just be aware of pickpockets in crowded places like Mongkok, so you should have your mobile & wallet kept safe in the bag instead of back pockets of your pants. 

Carrying on your neck is OK i suppose because no issue for us. We carry our compact one btw.. but after some time your neck may feel tired too. So we use our smartphone mostly because it comes handy. Camera we keep in our backpack.

That's pretty nice hotel indeed! I heard very positive feedback from one of our facebook fans, so enjoy your stay~ ;) 

YMT - we only stayed at Bridal Tea House before.

Hi Futobuta, 

Of coz if you get all the tickets at the airport, it will save you a lot of time for queuing up just to get a ticket at the entrance, except Peak Tram as you have to queue for getting on the tram if there are many people, but at least you save time for queue up to buy the tickets. For transportation to your hotel, you may take bus A21 directly from the HKIA to Yau Ma Tei. As I don't know the exactly location of your hotel, it may take a bit of walk from the bus stop to your hotel. Click the A21 link in this webpage for detailed bus stop location: http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/airport-bus/route/index.aspx?intLangID=1

Street.

The plan is smooth and alright. For dinner near Lan Kwai Fong, you may try Yung Kee if you fancy roasted goose as it's HK's most famous roasted goose restaurant. Address is 32-40 Wellington Street, Central. Or if you prefer a rather economic local meal, try Tsui Wah Restaurant just on the opposite of Yung Kee, which is a very local style cha charn teng.

When we checked-in hotel at YMT, after leaving our luggage and freshen up in hotel we head to Australian Dairy Co at Jordan for lunch. We walked there, it was a good 10mins walk. HOwever, bad experience i had at this famous shop. This place may not be your choice if you want to enjoy a peaceful lunch. It was lunch peak hours when we were there. Everything was like a rush. In and out for 20mins we were there. Fast eh? :-/

Not sure what time you estimate to arrive in HK/ hotel.. But there is an old cafe named Mido Cafe along temple street (behind YMT street) if you like to try out their lunch/ tea break. We had our breakfast one time during our stay there. But they dont open as early like 8am. If not mistaken i think they open around 10am**

We had dinner at Sing Kee (a dai pai dong near SOHO, Central). Not bad too, experience of outdoor/ street dai pai dong. Temple street is just behind YMT, so maybe you dont have to get down earlier at Jordan. If you not too tired, can go Mongkok for a longer stroll instead.

Hm... For lunch, you must have to have it inside the park. So it depends on your budget and preference, there are quite a lot of choices inside. You may try the newly launched Coca-cola themed Corner Cafe~ See here for list of restaurants inside the park: http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/hkdl/en_US/parks/listing?name=DiningListingPage As for dinner, you may have it near your hotel.

We had our lunch in Disneyland, btw, i dont think any food is cheap in there but it's an experience. We had light snacks during evening, and dinner outside Disneyland when we get out about 9ish. We get back to Mongkok area for more choice of food place.

There are just too many options in Tsim Sha Tsui that I could suggest. Please take a look at our food blog and see anything interests you: http://forum.allabouthongkong.com/index.php?/blog/6-all-about-hong-kong-food/ For a no brainer choice, I would suggest Sweet Dynasty on Hankow Road (the blog was written before it moved to Hankow Road, so the look of the entrance is different now).

Sweet Dynasty (Hankow Rd) was our choice for dinner the last trip we were there. I would say the meal is quite pricey compare to char chan teng , but they have a nice choice of desserts. After this place had moved, we had a hard time looking for this place. We just walk blindly along the TST shops (Hankow Rd) and lucky for us we found it. The entrance is not a wide one for you to spot on. So watch out.. :)

Again, you have to have your lunch inside the park and you can see here for restaurant listhttp://www.oceanpark.com.hk/html/en/park-experience/dining/ For dinner, you may try Man Wah Restaurant on 153-159 Tung Choi Street, which is also a local style cha charn teng but also offer dim sum. 

Ma Tei?

Airlines normally require passengers to check in at least 1 hour before departure (but could be vary among airlines...) It's safer to arrive 2hrs before departure time. So in your case you gotta arrive at 11am, and it takes around 1hr from Yau Ma Tei to HKIA by bus, so it's better to leave your hotel at around 9:30-10:00am. 

We usually give a lapse time of 3hrs to leave YMT. Arriving early at airport is better than late. We did not take bus back to HKIA, but took Airport Express (just to have the experience of it)..

Kindly advice. Thanks!!

Agree wz above that dining at Aust. dairy company is a nightmare. I learnt about this famous restaurant and want to try with my family in our HK trip early this month, we queued half hour and also use only half hour to eat our lunch!  :mad: The space is small and honestly the food is not special. 

1 person likes this

Thanks guys for all the advice. Actually, I'm not that crazy about the food. It's just my wife who wants to try this and that. I'll just go along. Haha..... counting down to the trip! Getting excited!!

Futobuta,ur plans sound great..how r u going to travel from one place to another...especially to ocean park from ur hotel..I heard that there is no MTR there...is it so?

Futobuta,ur plans sound great..how r u going to travel from one place to another...especially to ocean park from ur hotel..I heard that there is no MTR there...is it so?

Will be taking the MTR from YMT to Admiralty and then Bus 629 to Oceanpark.... hopefully.

Haha... but you still need to plan for your wife, don't you? 

Well, I let her do all the research on places/things to eat. Don't want to get too stressed up over this. I am just searching for a nice place for dinner to celebrate her birthday. I always take her on trips during her birthdays. Would also like a rough idea on the expenditure part so that I'll bring along enough dough. Where's the best place to change money just in case my supply of HK$ runs low? I prefer to use cash rather than credit cards due to some reasons.

Well, I let her do all the research on places/things to eat. Don't want to get too stressed up over this. I am just searching for a nice place for dinner to celebrate her birthday. I always take her on trips during her birthdays. Would also like a rough idea on the expenditure part so that I'll bring along enough dough. Where's the best place to change money just in case my supply of HK$ runs low? I prefer to use cash rather than credit cards due to some reasons.

Oh it's your wife's birthday! So have you found any nice place to surprise her? ^_^

I think if you said HK$500/day for normal meals will be more than enough, but if you're talking about the special dinner for b-day, it'd be quite tight indeed. For a nice dinner at better place, it's better to spare at least HK$300/pax budget. 

There are some money exchange stalls in Tsim Sha Tsui that you can exchange your money. 

Oh it's your wife's birthday! So have you found any nice place to surprise her? ^_^

I think if you said HK$500/day for normal meals will be more than enough, but if you're talking about the special dinner for b-day, it'd be quite tight indeed. For a nice dinner at better place, it's better to spare at least HK$300/pax budget. 

There are some money exchange stalls in Tsim Sha Tsui that you can exchange your money. 

Was thinking of taking her to the Caprice or Gaddi's for her birthday dinner. Saw the reviews at Openrice. Seems quite good. That's why I'll be bringing some extra money. Just in case. But I heard some of them have strict dress code. That'll be a problem because I just intend to go everywhere in jeans. Haha.

Caprice and Gaddi's are both very good choices. From their websites, Gaddi's requirement on attire is stricter, that jeans are not welcomed. Here I quoted from both websites:

Gaddi's: Lunch - Kindly be informed that our dress code is "Business Casual"

Dinner - Kindly be informed that our dress code is "Jacket for Gentlemen"

We respectfully request that our guests refrain from wearing jeans, flip-flops, beach sandals, plastic footwear or athletic wear. Additionally, full-length trousers only and no sleeveless shirts are required for gentlemen.

Caprice: Smart casual – covered shoes, long pants, collared and sleeved tops for gentlemen

Caprice and Gaddi's are both very good choices. From their websites, Gaddi's requirement on attire is stricter, that jeans are not welcomed. Here I quoted from both websites:

Gaddi's: Lunch - Kindly be informed that our dress code is "Business Casual"

Dinner - Kindly be informed that our dress code is "Jacket for Gentlemen"

We respectfully request that our guests refrain from wearing jeans, flip-flops, beach sandals, plastic footwear or athletic wear. Additionally, full-length trousers only and no sleeveless shirts are required for gentlemen.

Caprice: Smart casual – covered shoes, long pants, collared and sleeved tops for gentlemen

Wah.... so fussy one ah?!

I exchanged some of my cash at kin sing money exchange in tsim sa tsui: https://www.facebook.com/ksme.hk

Arrived in hk yesterday. Took the bus to the hotel. It was all very straight forward n easy.

The Octopus card is really nice to use. Everything went according to plan.

Managed to follow the schedule. The tram was crazy!! So many people!!

And the foreign workers under HSBC was...... unbelievable!

Finished the wax museum n peak quite fast. Tim Ho Wan's

crowd was just as crazy as the Peak tram but it was worth it.

However, the Australian dairy co was a letdown. Nothing special.

Not worth the wait if u have to queue. My legs felt really sore

by the end of the day.

Thanks for your sharing Futobuta and WELCOME TO HONG KONG!!!

Haha... yea it's Sunday so all areas in Central and Causeway Bay are packed with domestic helpers from the Philippines and Indonesia as they are having a day off.

Oh you went up to The Peak yesterday then it must be very windy due to the typhoon? Luckily you've not been blown away, haha... XD

Do keep us posted with your travel updates~ ^_-

Yeah, yesterday was smooth sailing because

I had an old friend, a local tag along with us.

That's why we managed to cover so much ground.

Tried the Star Ferry from Wan Chai to Tsim Tsar Tsui

and to Central again. Wanted to try Mido Cafe this

morning but it wasn't open after 9! So we had to postpone

It as we had to leave for Disney. The crowd is alright.

But the drizzle is on and off. Now waiting the queue.

Will be having dinner at Mak's noodle and 4season claypot rice.

Yeah, yesterday was smooth sailing because

I had an old friend, a local tag along with us.

That's why we managed to cover so much ground.

Tried the Star Ferry from Wan Chai to Tsim Tsar Tsui

and to Central again. Wanted to try Mido Cafe this

morning but it wasn't open after 9! So we had to postpone

It as we had to leave for Disney. The crowd is alright.

But the drizzle is on and off. Now waiting the queue.

Will be having dinner at Mak's noodle and 4season claypot rice.

I guess it's a lot easier to have a local leading the way  :)  Didn't try Four Seasons Claypot Rice for ages, how was it? Still as good as what many people said?

I guess it's a lot easier to have a local leading the way  :)  Didn't try Four Seasons Claypot Rice for ages, how was it? Still as good as what many people said?

Didn't go 4 seasons just now because was very full

after tea break at Mido Cafe. Went to central to buy

Egg tart n chicken pie from Tai Cheong bakery.

Strolled around Lan Kwai Fong followed by post-dinner

meal at Mak's Noodle. HAHAHA!