• All Activity

5d4n HK only (2 adults + my 3 yrs old daughter)
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Hi, again.... I am looking forward for my trip on 15 Sept.

1. Pls advise the weather now?still affected by Kong Rey? rain/ thunderstorm?

2. Any recommendation for dinner nearby Avenue of Star (kowloon) and peak (HK island)?

3. If I would like to take peak tram?  pls advise what is the best time? for night view of victoria harbour?

4. As I will staying in excelsior. any convenient/ good/ reasonable restaurant around for breakfast? (Dim Sum & Cha Chan tin)

5. What is the best MRT plan for tourist? 

6. As I shall be arrive HKIA ard 6.30pm, may be can visit peak by cab or shopping around the area....

Thks in advance

1. The weather is a bit rainny these days affected by a passing-by trough. Kong Rey has gone and the new one Toraji is not affecting HK. Check the weather forecast a few days before your departure for a more updated and accurated one.

2. There are many choices near Avenue of Stars (i.e. Tsim Sha Tsui)... Do you have any preference on food to try? e.g. must be Chinese food or don't mind to try Western food? For The Peak, there are Tsui Wah Tea Restaurant and Mak's Noodle in Peak Galleria which are more economic local delicacies. For a more upscale choice with a view, try Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurant in the Peak Tower.

3. I think the best time to queue up for the Peak Tram is around and during dinner time, i.e. 7-8pm for a shorter queue. Look at the sky before going up 'coz if it's foggy/hazy or if it's raining, the view will not be as good.

4. It seems that northasian has suggested some in post #24...

5. Any places on the same direction without overlap is a good MTR travel plan. So it depends on which places you want to visit. A little tip, if you have plan to visit Central IFC then Tsim Sha Tsui (or vice versa), it's good to take Star Ferry instead of MTR as it's cheap and you can enjoy the view along both sides of Victoria Harbour.

6. Yes you can visit The Peak if it's not too late after you settle down at hotel.

Have a nice trip!

Hi, Shiurosa, tks for prompt response. Can you also advise:-

1. Where to take the peak tram? nearby any MTR? long walk? to the peak galleria or the MTR station?

2. for MTR, can foreigner purchase the octupus card? or it is better to buy the tourist day pass (HKD 55 per pax per day)

3. What is your view of shopping in Maritime Square near Tsing Yi MTR station as suggested in MTR?

4. As suggested the seafood around Li YI Men (MTR Shung Wan station), is it far from the station? how about the price?

5. Stanley beer street? is it worth while? what else shopping/ eating there?

6. Will tourist do this? breakfast in Causeway bay, then take MTR to Citygate shopping, and lunch there, back to Kowloon for shopping, and dinner around avenue of star ? 

7. How long a MTR journey normally take from Causeway bay to Citygate MTR station?

8. what is the best time to avoid crowd if we want to take MRT? 

9. How about best time to take MTR to avoid traffic jam on the road (by cab)?

from Loo

1. I thought you plan to take cab to the peak tram terminus? If not, it will take you quite some time to reach as it's not near the MTR station. You can take MTR to Central station and follow the walking direction shown in the official website: http://www.thepeak.com.hk/en/2_1.asp  Peak Tram will take you to the Peak Tower at The Peak, and Peak Galleria is just across the road.

2. Yes anyone can buy and use Octopus card.

3. Not suggest to shop in Maritime Square, small and nothing much. Shop around Causeway Bay will be better.

4. Yes, a little bit far from the Yau Tong station on foot. Price is about HKD300 per head, anyway it depends on what seafood you choose.

5. I guess you mean the street along seaside with bars and cafes?? Stanley is mainly a place for relaxing, there is a flea market there and cafes/bars/pubs along the seaside and a historical building Murray House.

6. Haha... of coz there are someone do that... It's just a matter of time and preference... actually it's very free to plan as long as you're happy with it. This is why we travel without following group tour~

7. About 45mins.

8. Avoid the universal working time, i.e. 9am & 6pm, and the peak is usually 8-9am and 6-7pm.

9. Almost the same as point 8, when people are going to work/going off work, traffic on road and MTR will be same busy.

thks again. I kind of decide to purchase the octupus cards for my family during the trip as this is very convenient can get refund for the balance. Pls advise.

1. How to use octupus card on the bus? as I will not know how much that I need to pay? so I scan when I go up and scan again when I get down? just like Singapore?

2. How much u reckon? I shd top up? HKD 100 enough? as I plan to take star ferry, may b a trip to Citygate (MTR) from Causeway bay, may be Kuen Tong for seafood, electric tram (on ferry pier 6) and peak tram?? all these public transport can take octupus card right?

3. what is your recommendation for reasonable dinner meal in the Peak with good view?

As I bought a chinese guidebook for tourist in HK, very informative, but never mention the price range.

thks again. I kind of decide to purchase the octupus cards for my family during the trip as this is very convenient can get refund for the balance. Pls advise.

Octopus card is a must-have for tourist 'coz it's really very convenient. It will cost HK$9 handling fee if Octopus card is returned within 3 months of issuance. 

1. How to use octupus card on the bus? as I will not know how much that I need to pay? so I scan when I go up and scan again when I get down? just like Singapore?

Different from Singapore, you only need to tap once when you get on the bus. The amount will be deducted automatically and you don't need to choose any fare, most routes in the city are priced for 1 fare only. 

2. How much u reckon? I shd top up? HKD 100 enough? as I plan to take star ferry, may b a trip to Citygate (MTR) from Causeway bay, may be Kuen Tong for seafood, electric tram (on ferry pier 6) and peak tram?? all these public transport can take octupus card right?

As it includes HK$100 value on the newly issued card, you use it first and only top it up when nearly finish. You can top up from HK$50, and it can be topped up at any convenient store like 7-11 and Circle K, just tell the cashier you want to 增值八達通。

Not very sure what kind of tram you mentioned that is on ferry pier 6?? As I know there are no tram station near any ferry pier??

Yes, you can use Octopus card on all public transportation except taxi. 

3. what is your recommendation for reasonable dinner meal in the Peak with good view?

Restaurants with a view on the Peak would be the upscale one, so it depends on how much you regarded as reasonable. I personally think Cafe Deco is slightly more economic (about HK$200-300 per head depends what you order) than the rest but the quality isn't as good (just my opinion). Restaurants will have menu available at reception, you can take a look first before making your choice.

As I bought a chinese guidebook for tourist in HK, very informative, but never mention the price range.

Maybe you can tell us which one you're interested to try that is mentioned in your guidebook?