• All Activity

1 Day Hong Kong trip
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hello all. I will be spending a day at Hong Kong from Zhu Hai and then back to Zhu Hai again.

According to this website, http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/hongkong/transportation/ship-hz.htm, if it is accurate, my itinerary would be as follow.

8am - Board ferry from Jin Zhou Port (Zhu Hai) to China Ferry Terminal

Ok i am not sure what time I will arrive due to immigration stuff. But I plan to spend my morning at Tsim Sha Tsui and vist around (avenue of stars?). Any suggestions for lunch ?

Not sure what I can do for the afternoon though. Still haven't done research. Maybe some shopping? I heard H&M is cheap? Maybe can drop by Mong Kok or somewhere. (i'm a guy so shopping is the least of my priority. just hope to see more of HK) Suggestions for lunch and other food are welcomed as well as I have yet to study how the train system works to travel around D:

Around evening time I hope to see the Symphony of Lights, and head to the peak and board the last ferry at Hong Kong Macau Ferry terminal at 9.30pm back to Zhu Hai.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions in advance!

Hello all. I will be spending a day at Hong Kong from Zhu Hai and then back to Zhu Hai again.

Hi zstan, so you will only do a day trip in Hong Kong?

According to this website, http://www.travelchi...ion/ship-hz.htm, if it is accurate, my itinerary would be as follow.

It's better you check the ferry operator website for the updated schedule: http://www.cksp.com.hk/eng/ship_schedule/main.html

8am - Board ferry from Jin Zhou Port (Zhu Hai) to China Ferry Terminal

Ok i am not sure what time I will arrive due to immigration stuff. But I plan to spend my morning at Tsim Sha Tsui and vist around (avenue of stars?). Any suggestions for lunch ?

In Tsim Sha Tsui, you can visit Heritage 1881 for some photo-shooting, also Clock Tower, Star Ferry and Avenue of Stars for view of Victoria Harbour. What kind of food you'd like to try for lunch? Maybe you can browse through our food blog for idea: http://forum.allabouthongkong.com/index.php?/blog/6-all-about-hong-kong-food/

Not sure what I can do for the afternoon though. Still haven't done research. Maybe some shopping? I heard H&M is cheap? Maybe can drop by Mong Kok or somewhere. (i'm a guy so shopping is the least of my priority. just hope to see more of HK) Suggestions for lunch and other food are welcomed as well as I have yet to study how the train system works to travel around D:

Yes, H&M is cheap and nice!!! If you wanna do some shopping, the best place is Harbour City. It links to Ocean Terminal and also a mid-range shopping centre called Silvercord, where H&M Tsim Sha Tsui branch is located. After that, you can take MTR to Mongkok and walk around some shopping street and street market, e.g. Ladies Street, Sport Shoes Street, Fa Yuen Street north bound...etc. where you can see the very local side of Hong Kong. For food option, again you can take a look at the blog, hope you can pick one or two from there :) Don't worry about the MTR system in HK, it's simple and convenient!!

Around evening time I hope to see the Symphony of Lights, and head to the peak and board the last ferry at Hong Kong Macau Ferry terminal at 9.30pm back to Zhu Hai.

You have to go to The Peak before Symphony of Lights 'coz it starts at 8pm. I'm afraid after you finish watch the light show you don't have enough time to go to The Peak. But I can tell your time could be very rush as The Peak is not close to Tsim Sha Tsui. In case you're running out of time, you may have to give up either The Peak or Symphony of Lights.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions in advance!

You're welcomed~!

Jiuzhou Port (九洲港) to Hong Kong!

As mentioned in my earlier post that I have one free day in my itinerary so I decided board a ferry to Hong Kong instead! According to the ferry's schedule, the earliest ride to Hong Kong (China Ferry Terminal @ Tsim Sha Tsui,Kowloon) was at 8a.m so I wasted no time to get there from my hotel with a taxi.

8397336030_4e50b7c628_z.jpg

Prior to this trip I have booked the tickets online at their website to ensure that I get seats since trips to Hong Kong are rather popular. To my utmost horror, the person at the counter told me I could only redeem the tickets at the Hong Kong office at not the ferry terminal. D: In my opinion this is quite stupid considering that the website offers sales of tickets of many places outside of Hong Kong and the only places to redeem those tickets are at Kowloon, Central (中環) and somewhere in Shanghai =_=. Without a choice I exchanged my Hong Kong dollars to Yuan with a shop to buy new tickets (175 yuan for 2 ways). The exchange rate was probably terrible but I didn't have much choice :( Thank goodness I was able to get a full refund when I arrived at Hong Kong. Quite a shocker early in the morning.

8396251469_ba2d4ef991_z.jpg

8397335822_8a9d8f40c5_z.jpg

After settling my tickets I then proceeded to have my breakfast, at KFC. And yes I was looking for pork related food again =P

8397335658_3ca8d6d504_z.jpg

Along with a cup of soya bean, the whole set costed 17 yuan. I then proceeded to the departure hall to wait for my ferry. The entire set up and design looks pretty like an airport.

8397335778_d996f43de1_z.jpg

8396251429_43857e002a_z.jpg

8396251377_06abc32a1b_z.jpg

8396251203_3d9441b359_z.jpg

The ferry is huge!! Accommodating more than 300 people should be off no issue here. There are 3 types of seats available here, depending on the ferry company - normal, VIP and first class. I am guessing food and personal in-ferry entertainment will be available for those paying more. Hong Kong here I come! :D

Hi zstan, thanks for the sharing~~ :D

Hahaha... that ferry online ticketing really stupid! Luckily they allow you to refund~

no problem :)

Harbour City & Silvercord Shopping Mall, Tsim Sha Tsui

As the ferry embarks at the China Ferry Terminal, my one day tour of Hong Kong begins. The 1.5 hour aboard the ferry wasn't a pleasant one as the bad weather made the journey really rough and I was almost having sea sick. Anyway the weather was unkind as well as it was drizzling none stop when I arrived.

8473930614_7465a0a5c2_z.jpg

After getting my refund I then proceeded to Harbour City (中港城) which was just a stone's throw away after getting directions from a receptionist. My Cantonese passed! Harbour City is basically rows and rows of high end shopping brands which does not really interest me. My main aim at this area was to visit the H & M shop at Silvercord for some shopping and that's about it.

8472841505_524eda1090_z.jpg

Hong Kong itself is really quite a busy city and everybody seems rushing around. It's hard to see any locals taking a stroll on the streets. Then again, it was during working hours when I was around. The buildings are all very well constructed and most of them are linked with each other, which makes life easier for visitors as they don't have to exit the mall to get to another mall. Size wise, everything is very compacted compared to the likes of One Utama or Sunway Pyramid. Personally I don't really enjoy shopping under such cramped conditions. Maybe I'm just used to the big open spaces in Malaysia's own shopping malls. :/ Nevertheless, shopping in Hong Kong is still a tad cheaper due to its duty free status compared to the Malaysia and that's probably why many flock here for this sole reason.

8472841497_07f7ff3102_z.jpg

8472841549_3028546b3d_z.jpg

8472841689_83b8180040_z.jpg

8472841775_0f3f9d9728_z.jpg

On a side note, free Wi-Fi is available everywhere in Hong Kong! Even on their public phones! But the problem is that you have to register your Malaysian number with the telco company which I couldn't figured out how. It's quite frustrating at times when you need to use the internet. Why can't just setup a simple broadband and provide WiFi password to customers? :/

1 person likes this

Heritage 1881 Square, Tsim Sha Tsui

As the rain pours on I continue my journey with an umbrella in one hand and my a77 in another. Both of my shoes are already quite soaked at that time. ._.||| Basically Heritage 1881 was the headquarters of the Hong Kong Marine Police decades ago and has since been converted to a high end shopping mall based on a Victorian theme. Actually this place is not very much of interest to the general public unless you are into branded shopping or maybe architectural photography. :D

8473931608_6550464302_z.jpg

8472842395_1c75e576e1_z.jpg

8473931934_f437d36ab1_z.jpg

8473932222_1a8a2e2780_z.jpg

Another point of interest at this place is the Time Ball tower. According to discover hong kong:

From 1885 to 1907, this tower provided a vital service to ships in Victoria Harbour. Many of these vessels had arrived in Hong Kong after long voyages, during which their chronometers would have lost accuracy. A one-minute error could result in a ship becoming lost, with dire consequences for the crew. The ball mounted on the pole in this tower was raised manually every morning and, with data provided by the Hong Kong Observatory, it was dropped at 1pm every day. The tower was in full view of the harbour and the dropping of the ball allowed ships to recalibrate their chronometers to an accuracy of one-tenth of a second, before they departed Hong Kong for other parts of the world.

8472842941_d14c8c6443_z.jpg

8473932468_566546df21_z.jpg

8472843285_1fe7171891_z.jpg

Star House & Hong Kong Clock Tower, Tsim Sha Tsui

After walking around drenched for awhile, I am starting to feel really hungry and then proceeded to the nearest mall to get some food! Hong Kong food! Like finally. The mall that I entered was Star House which was adjacent to the ferry terminal. It was completely random and I did not do any research for my lunch.

8473932696_bd6e649628_z.jpg

8472843343_6362cf13c3_z.jpg

8473930406_2237969947_z.jpg

After walking and surveying around I then decided to eat at Cafe de Coral (大家樂). It's actually one of the most famous fast food chains in Hong Kong and can be found in Macau as well. I opted for this as I saw construction workers queuing up to get food from this restaurant, hence assuming the price should be quite cheap, which was not exactly the case. Maybe its cheap for Hong Kong standards though.

8472843497_2d8c86255b_z.jpg

8473932770_7cffe2b625_z.jpg

This set costed me HK$34 which is about RM13.60. The char siew pork tastes quite different from the usual meat in Malaysia. To my surprise there were no Char Siew Wanton Noodles combination on the menu though. Actually many of the so called Hong Kong or Taiwanese food in Malaysia are actually slightly modified to suit the local market.

8473932892_2e5485ccbe_z.jpg

After a hearty meal, i then proceeded to the next famous landmark in Tsim Sha Tsui- the clock tower!

8472843659_d8d43ba04c_z.jpg

Haha... yep, there is no Char Siu Wanton Noodle here, because they are under 2 different specialties in HK. And you're right, Cafe de Coral should be regarded as the "cheap" range eatery, though their food is no longer cheap compared with a few years back. The inflation rate in HK is high and fast too! >"<

Avenue of Stars (星光大道)

Moving on to one of Hong Kong's most famous landmark of all - The Avenue Of Stars, which is a long stretch of road commemorating Hong Kong's famous actors and actresses by the majestic Victoria Harbour.Unfortunately for me, the weather was still very cloudy after the rain has started to finally subside.

8472843809_0d9dc19ed9_z.jpg

Hong Kong Island in its full glory

To be honest, apart from the 'wow' factor of all the stars, there's nothing much to do here. But come 8pm at night, a dazzling light show would be put on display which I gave a miss as I was more interested in going up the Peak. Shall return for the show another time.

8472844111_f86de47d5d_z.jpg

8472844355_9b56a328c6_z.jpg

8472844351_1ddce343ba_z.jpg

On a side note, I saw this guy who was really busy taking pictures of himself, but not by the conventional way. To my amusement, he was actually using his camera on a proper tripod, set up the timer and run across the opposite direction to have his shot taken. Not forgetting to mention he's doing this in public space and asking passer's by to get out of the camera's line. This brings selca-ing to a whole new level.

8472844477_e44eaaf713_z.jpg

8472844553_fe1e9327eb_z.jpg

Ladies' Market @ Tung Choi Street & Sneakers Street @ Fa Yuen Street, Mongkok

more pics at blog~

My next destination was no other than one of the famous shopping spot was budget conscious people like me - Ladies Market or more popularly known as 女人街! From the Avenue of Stars, I made my way towards the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station to get over to Mong Kok Station. Finding the MTR was relatively easy as signs on the streets are located everywhere.

8472844621_5b9660a09c_z.jpg

8472844833_61817e2d41_z.jpg

Taking the MTR was pretty straight forward with all the routes and exits properly labelled. The only complaint that I have is the severe lack of public toilets at the MTR stations. Even at the biggest, or matbe longest would be more appropriate, MTR station which was Central station, there was not a single public toilet! In stark contrast there are always toilets available at Malaysia's LRT or KTM stations and even in most stations at Taiwan. I guess the lack of space in Hong Kong is really apparent in these situations.

And about 10-15 minutes later, I arrived at Mong Kok! Signboards everywhere. One of the distinct features of Hong Kong streets.

8472845049_692d1ea554_z.jpg

8472845227_48613831b4_z.jpg

Interesting to see a cinema on its own. I guess Malaysia is the only place where the cinemas are present in most of the shopping malls. I've decided to try out the Hui Lau Shan (許留山) dessert shop at its home ground to see whether is it really better than its branches in Malaysia.

8473934562_20281942df_z.jpg

8473934644_c6b9a3fa95_z.jpg

Needless to say its nothing really to shout about. At HK$45 it's a bit more pricier than Malaysia's branch . The mangoes that they used were not that great, probably just normal honey mangoes. The shop's size is also really quite cramped and the toilet is really one of the smallest I've ever entered. Expense of development I guess.

After a decent rest and filling up my tummy it's time for shopping!!! Although popularly known as Ladies Street, the actual name is actually Tung Choi Street. Technically it's Malaysian's version of Petaling Street with clothes, electronics, accessories being sold at a much cheaper price. I bought 4 T-shirts at HK$100 and the quality is really quite decent.

8473934594_91e5629f86_z.jpg

8473934714_e5c494e4f8_z.jpg

8473930190_cc4324a778_z.jpg

Adjacent to Tung Choi Street is Fa Yuen Street where most of the shops here are selling shoes at discounted prices. Didn't get anything from here though, can't really comment on the quality of the shoes sold. Ladies could really spend a lot of time at these 2 streets if not careful =P

8473934884_c73f36bf43_z.jpg

The no-toilet & no-escalator access to ground exit in old MTR stations which designed & constructed about 35years ago is always criticized by tourists... I think it's because the previous architect think it's only a short ride so it's still alright without toilet? Just like the underground system in London which has even longer history, there are no toilets inside most of the station too... But those stations along the newly developed line like West Rail are equipped with toilets now. :)

1 person likes this

oh good to know that the new lines are equipped with toilets :D

Prince Edward MTR station area

My next destination of the day was another one of Hong Kong's iconic landmark - The Peak! Since I planned to capture the sunset moments and time was still on my side, I decided to head over to Prince Edward area to chill for a moment after all the shopping.

8473935258_15375bdaa6_z.jpg

8472845815_d5a29ddb8e_z.jpg

It's worth nothing that some MTR stations provide free Wi-Fi access through these computer stations. Do note that everything is in Chinese characters though. Interestingly the ticketing booth also offers free Wi-Fi within 100 metre range but you will have to face huge competition from the rest of the MTR population.

8473935272_06938c8722_z.jpg

I didn't do any research regarding this place hence I just headed over to the McCafe for a cup of coffee to pass time and rest my legs. Which I will regret doing so in the next few hours.

8472845967_0a81330dd0_z.jpg

8473935438_76108238d9_z.jpg

8473935574_56bf3a87bc_z.jpg

Journey up to The Peak, Central

At around 4.30pm I've decided I have rested enough and then proceeded back to the MTR station and headed for Central station, at Hong Kong island to visit the final place I had in mine - The Peak! For Prince Edward it was a relatively straight forward journey to Central station which cost HKD11.50.

8472846245_0b82119184_z.jpg

8472846309_1d4bea7cf4_z.jpg

Central is probably the equivalent of the surrounding area nearby KLCC. As one of the longest MTR station in Hong Kong, many top business companies have their buildings built surrounding this station. There are many exits from this station and the distance from one end to another end of the station is relatively long. It's no wonder I hardly see any obese people in Hong Kong. So much walking to do!

8473935700_95b5bc6a8a_z.jpg

And finally, I found a decent public toilet that is clean! It was located in the park right outside the exit of the MTR. On another note the park itself is really quite a nice place to hang out, especially in this cool pre-winter weather. Great avenue for those working in the highly stressed environments of Hong Kong.

8473935822_947b98f73f_z.jpg

8472846541_c2902b6dcb_z.jpg

8473935688_9537f8263e_z.jpg

From the MTR station to the Peak tram station, its a good 10-15 minute uphill climb. Signboards are, as usual, placed strategically along the roads for the convenience of tourist.

8472846599_501f014514_z.jpg

8473936178_afd5ff3d41_z.jpg

8473936268_7ce0e786d1_z.jpg

8473936234_fd91cf8783_z.jpg

Journey UP the Peak

I mentioned in my earlier posts that I regretted lazing around McCafe before deciding to head over to the Peak, and this is why:

8472846841_fdb4767da2_z.jpg

8473936396_1ac7c2df43_z.jpg

I got a real shock when I saw the amazingly long queue. I have completely forgotten to take into account that this place is one of the most popular tourist attraction of Hong Kong (besides Disney Land) and there is bound to have a huge crowd. I was contemplating whether to wait for the tram as I have to meet my friend by 7.30pm and it was already 5.00pm. There are other options up the Peak, namely by taxi and bus but I've decided to wait anyway since I am already here.

8472846995_fb0379b6fe_z.jpg

My tickets for the Peak tram costed HK$65 which does not include the wax museum tour. I didn't have the budget for it nor did I have the time so I skipped it. As time went on, the queue behind me just got more and more longer. @_@

8473936420_8222c95c67_z.jpg

And after a good one hour wait, my ride has finally arrived!

8473930174_b0cca2e27e_z.jpg

8473936544_72eced2a9b_z.jpg

This ride up the slope reminds me of how Penang Hill used to be many many years ago before the new tram system was built. Seeing the whole Hong Kong bit by bit as the tram slowly climbed up the hill was really fascinating.

8472847137_836efc254f_z.jpg

After a good 15 minutes I've finally reached the station atop of the Peak! Not wanting to waste my time, I immediately raced up the many floors to reach the observation deck as soon as possible before the sun set. I really didn't expect that I had to climb so many flights of stairs to reach the top. Quite a good exercise.

8473936614_9fb1fc828f_z.jpg

8472847225_5259f83954_z.jpg

On a side note, the weather on the highest peak at Hong Kong was really really cooling! I think it was have been about 15 degrees Celcius as I can feel my hands feeling numb when I tried to take some pictures. I must be the only one in polo-T, fully enjoying the coldness while everybody else was wearing jackets to keep themselves warm. xD The only place this cold back in Malaysia was probably Genting Highlands hence I really appreciated every moment of the cold.

8473936738_77f4b9c729_z.jpg

http://zhishantan.blogspot.com/2013/04/hong-kong-trip-2012-sunset-night-view.html

I was really lucky as the sun pretty much started to set when I was atop the observatory floor. It's probably due to the fact that winter is arriving soon hence the sun sets at an earlier time (~6.15pm).

8472847307_19a8bf8807_z.jpg

8473936702_cc88528b1f_z.jpg

8473936848_3c0a89f32b_z.jpg

Having said that the sunset moment was really really short and lasted like seconds before the whole sky turned into pitch black and then gets lit up by the sea of lights by the buildings situated on the island. Nevertheless it will still a very nice sight to behold. It was rather tricky taking pictures as all the tourists were basically crowding around the railing. I had to hold my camera in one hand and the freezing weather was not helping in stabilising my hand.

8472847357_c2802bd11f_c.jpg

8473936904_c9f9f32796_c.jpg

8472847759_185d60a1f5_c.jpg

8473936958_c1933c089b_z.jpg

Apart from enjoying the night scenery, tourists can also leave their love wishes at this nicely built loved shape deco.

8473937016_3ceb2e35e9_z.jpg

After that frantic picture taking I then took some time to visit the Peak's surroundings. As usual, there are many high end brands setting up shop here as well as well classy dining restaurants.

8473937290_ea4db209e9_z.jpg

8473937290_ea4db209e9_z.jpg

And after another 30 minute queue, it's almost time to say good bye to The Peak and my journey at Hong Kong.