All About Hong Kong
Kat Ong

Words Meaning

so 啲 as 個D嘢 (那个东四 or 那个小东西)

幸福 because it did not happen by chance and very blessed to be able to have strangers extending their hands, not to mention u help me every day, looked thru every word to correct my mistakes and not asking for anything and school fees. TQ, just waiting for the day I can go over !

is there a 秘笈 sold in HK that I can buy to find answers to ?

forward email - same as mandarin ?

centralised customsed generic email - same as mandarin?

I used 得 as "得can 用use" in english version. Haha, sorry wrong again

可以不可以 = 得唔得?

so 啲 as 個D嘢 (那个东四 or 那个小东西)

幸福 because it did not happen by chance and very blessed to be able to have strangers extending their hands, not to mention u help me every day, looked thru every word to correct my mistakes and not asking for anything and school fees. TQ, just waiting for the day I can go over !

is there a 秘笈 sold in HK that I can buy to find answers to ?

forward email - same as mandarin ?

centralised customsed generic email - same as mandarin?

I used 得 as "得can 用use" in english version. Haha, sorry wrong again

Yes 嗰 D 嘢 = 嗰啲嘢, D/啲 in this case means 些,那些東西。那個東西應該用 "嗰個嘢".

I understand your feeling, but HKgers would think you are too 肉麻 if you say 幸福 in this case. It's just a matter of culture difference. So when you learn a language, you gotta learn their culture and habit as well.

Hm... I guess it's hard to find a Cantonese 秘笈 in HK because everyone is already a native Cantonese speakers... :P The 秘笈 is to speak more la! Your mother-in-law is Canton speaker then your husband should be able to speak Cantonese too, right? Practice makes perfect!

forward email - same as mandarin ? Most of the time saying it in English will be more understandable.

centralised customsed generic email - same as mandarin? Hm... don't know because it's not a commonly used term??

Opps.. Sorry ! my in law loves it most when I tell her I am blessed to have her. So I tot its individual feeling, did not know its culture differences too. Apology. Gd to learn more culture differences in future. Our SG cantonese is mixed up, that why what I learned from u, they nvr heard of.

becos im used to talking to my hk frens, i tends to pick up like them, n i think the way hk spk is better than SG. But too bad, I can only communicate in written form with them as all of us are at work. My in law is China version mode ! n my hubby 50% cos he used the other local dialect more n lost touch in pure canto.

I ever heard abt a hk person who don't like people to mix english with cantonese. That person says it make that language bad to do that and it angers him

Opps.. Sorry ! my in law loves it most when I tell her I am blessed to have her. So I tot its individual feeling, did not know its culture differences too. Apology. Gd to learn more culture differences in future. Our SG cantonese is mixed up, that why what I learned from u, they nvr heard of.

becos im used to talking to my hk frens, i tends to pick up like them, n i think the way hk spk is better than SG. But too bad, I can only communicate in written form with them as all of us are at work. My in law is China version mode ! n my hubby 50% cos he used the other local dialect more n lost touch in pure canto.

I ever heard abt a hk person who don't like people to mix english with cantonese. That person says it make that language bad to do that and it angers him so I thought most of u would think like him n then i use as little english to progress my learning

No you're not completely wrong but it's just that the habit of using this word is different between Cantonese & English speaking society. Of course it's perfectly OK to use 幸福 to describe your relationship with your in laws. Yes you're right, even Guangdong people's Cantonese is different from HK's Cantonese, just like there are a lot of different styles and accents between all English speaking societies.

Actually speaking English mixing with Cantonese are more common for people who're educated before 1997, or who've studied overseas. I personally think it's not a problem to speak Cantonese with some English words in between. 

兩位,8月1到4日應該會從深圳過嚟香港度,希望搵你哋嘅機會。 travel dates 肯定後,再話你哋知。點連絡?forum冇電郵。

執笠 = 1) closed down for business and bankruptcy or 2) purely closed down for business?

線上睇到有個辯論題。

一邊嘅人話淨係倒闭,另一班人話係倒闭同破产一齊。

Which meaning is correct?

Floor is slippery or smooth to step on, i heard it is called "jai ji". What the chinese character for this ?

Written in cantonese pin yin as jat ji, but pronounce as "yai yi"something like you just mop the floor, so we reply 地下 yai yi, similiar to yai yai as 顽皮音法。

Some people use this in replacement of 我要 in speech and writing。

我唔moi (I don't want) or 我爱oi (I want)

is that correct?

Ummmmm.. Still no idea of jat ji or yai yi in Cantonese means slippery... We use to say "sin" to mean slippery floor.

HK ppl seldom use 愛 to mean 要, it look like ppl in se Asia use to say like this more than HK ppl.

i had a wonderful catch up with hk frens last week. Love this place. The mountains. They were saying 爱 been used in their place. I guess, its been mixed after Asia influence.

haha, Im writing a song, so cant use cantonese words but trying to phrase it to match cantonese style.我 does it matter in front or last ?

It matters for 我 to put in front or back. Like English if it's put in front it's more on "active" form, and when put at back it's more passive. But also need to see what you are expressing, therefore, hard to tell when it should put front or back...