All About Hong Kong
Sign in to follow this  
MeiLin

Six days HK trip

Hi, 

I will be visiting Hong Kong for the first time, for 6 days in April. 

I would like to know what's the best area to stay? 

I'm not sure if beaches for relaxing and tanning are an option at this time?? I would also like to do some shopping,try good restaurants, and experience the nightlife. 

I'm an amateur photographer,so any suggestions for good shooting locations would be helpful. 

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi MeiLin,

For sure you will have a lot of good memories after your trip in April :)

I think you should stay in Mong Kok for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it is quite easy to travel to other places. Secondly,life of Mong Kok at night is indeed interesting. You could find a lot of foods here, even at midnight. Last but not least, Mong Kok is such an ideal place to stay for travellers, although it is very crowded at weekends. But we are travellers and we want to experience some amazing things there, so who cares about crowdness, right ? ;)

For shopping, Tung Chung citygate outlet is the best one ;). I reach there right after I leave the airport. And hahaha, it's time to spend money !! I and my friends bought about 7 T-shirts, 3 dresses and 4 jeans with reasonable price thanks to sale-off season :)

Beaches are also great ! WHen I stayed in HK for 6 days, I visited Cheung Chau Island and Repulse Bay. They are such good places to take photos ;)

If you love taking photos, well, every place in Hongkong does worth taking photos. On the streets, in the restaurants, in museums or even in the rest rooms hahaha

I visited Hong Kong for 6 days in August, 2013. Before traveling, I and my sister had made a plan for each day. I found it quite useful as well as easy to follow. We went almost all places that we have planned to. So if you want, I would be glad to share it with you. My email is : diemphuong_ng172@yahoo.com

Wish you have an interesting trip to Hong Kong :)   

Hi phuong_nguyen172, 

Thanks very much for your reply, it's very helpful. :)

May you share which hotel you stayed in Mongkok? How much was the room rate? 

Tung Chung citygate outlet seems a great place to shop, but a bit far from the city. Perhaps I'll plan it on my last day before flying back home. 

Any shopping spots in city to recommend?

Thanks again :D

The address we stayed in Hong Kong was : Yuen King Building, 26-36 Sai Yeung Choi street, Mong Kok  :)

About shopping spots in city, oh, everywhere in Hong Kong is a chance for you to spend money hahaha. You will see a lot of shopping malls in the city, or even in MTR stations ;) . And the most popular place to go shopping is Causeway Bay. You can also shop in Ladies Market, a market on Temple Street (remember to bargain. For instance, if they say an item is 100HKD, you should bargain to 50HKD first, then 55 or 60HKD. So by doing that, you wont be overcharge and could buy things with cheap price ;) ), or in some other luxurious places such as Habour City ^^

Hope what I share could help you :) . Have a nice day !

Thanks for your shopping tips phuong_nguyen172! Just afraid being scolded when bargaining, as I heard some negative comments on the owners rude attitude in street markets. Have you encountered one?

Is street market the best place to shop for souvenirs?

Sorry for too many questions :P 

Oh, bargaining. My mother tongue is Vietnamese. When I bargained in Mong Kong Ladies Market, I used English and translated into Vietnamese for my friends. But guess what ? The seller scolded me in both English and Vietnamese =.=" ["are you crazy?" , said she]. I was so so so surprised at the time. But I also felt so funny, how can they know Vietnamese ? :o ... But you needn't worry, just be polite and keep bergaining, they wont scold you, it is for sure :). I was scolded just because my friend decided to buy the item with the price 80HKD, then I said so expensive so she wanted me to bargain to 30HKD. I did it, and being scolded hahaha. Maybe because I got on the seller's nerves :)))

Yep, markets on the streets are the best place for souvenirs. Key chains, or even USBs (for fun only, not used to store important data) are some kinds you could buy. Just be brave and bargain, you could buy these items with very very cheap price ^^

Please feel free to ask questions. It's not a problem hihi ^^

LOL  :lol: They can even speak Vietnamese?! I think it's pretty much like those street market sellers in Bangkok, they can speak almost all major languages to sell their things!! OK that means if the price cut I request is not too ridiculous the chances of being scolded isn't that much, isn't it?  :P

It seems temple street and ladies street are quite the similar, shall I visit both or I can skip either one if I can't fit both in my travel plan? 

Have you been to Stanley? Just found out there is a market there selling HK souvenirs too, perhaps will pay a visit there as some posts here suggested visiting Stanley with Repulse Bay together.