All About Hong Kong
icecold

October 28th trip KL-Macau-HK-Macau-KL 6 days 5 nights trip

hi Northasian, so im back from my HK/Macau trip. here's some feedback on the itinerary u worked out alongside with me:

Day 1: my plane delayed. officially reached Sintra Hotel around 11.45pm. dropped my luggage and went to nearby Grand Lisboa for a walk. So since its quite late, we head to one of the Cha Chan Teng and grab a fast supper before going back hotel. Nothing much.

Day 2: Well, managed to visit Ruins of St Paul. Nice place with the nice cooling weather. Cloudy but luckily it never rains.

Disappointment - Pork chop bun at Café Tai Lei Loi Kei (大利來記咖啡室) totally cannot make it :angry: the bun is so tough, the pork chop is hard and dry. I regretted buying 4 of those and in the end all throw it away. anyone can further clarify this why the famous pork chop bun in Macau is such a big disappointment?

Cookies and especially the egg tarts at Koi Kei is awesome :D

So after St Paul, we visited Wynn and stayed there till evening before heading to City of Dreams.

Day 3: Adjusted my itinerary a bit by visiting Lantau Island after i reach HK. It was drizzling all day long since morning till nite. Bought 2 umbrellas from 7-11. Luckily its not too heavy and still managed to walk around Giant Buddha and take the Ngong Ping 360 Crystal Cabin cable car.

Shopping at citygate till 9pm. Head back to Mongkok but was unable to visit the night markets as the rain is getting heavier and heavier so ended up back hotel to rest for the day.

Day 4: Went to Tim Ho Wan for dimsum breakfast but the queue was damn long. Gave up in the end and we went for this

8 Up Way 八方雲集

not too bad i would say.

After breakfast, i head on myself to do my biking gears shopping. So my family just stroll around Mongkok area.

Headed to TST around evening and visited Harbour City. not much shopping as all were tired d :lol: so just directly walk to Avenue of Stars. Very beautiful scenery over there. One disappointment is that we never get to catch the Symphony of Lights as i totally forget about the time and the agenda :wacko:

after walking along avenue of stars, went to 龙城 dispensary to shop for some cosmetics for my mum and gf.

after this, our worst nightmare happened!!!

we were walking along nathan road back to our hotel and we passed by one of the traditional chinese medicine shop. so my mum went in and wanted to buy some scallops. this attendant has the convincing power to fool us into buying some expensive ginseng and abalone. well its not completely that he being not honest but our lack of awareness on the measurements he provides. we mistakenly saw the measurements at 一斤 instead of 一两。 so inside 一斤 has 16两。 so whatever unit price they display has to be multiply by 16 which will be equal to 一斤。being so careless, we bought some ginseng and abalones which totalled up to HKD20,774 :blink::blink:

only then we realized we were being fooled by the measurements. reluctantly, we told the shopkeeper that we dont have so much cash on hand, and had no CC too. so this shopkeeper suggested that he will follow us back to hotel and take our CC to pay for the things we had purchased. realizing that we had no way out of this dishonesty, i had to take out my CC and just swiped for it.

so everyone who's reading this, pls be extra vigilant on the measurements if u would visit such chinese medicine shop. be extra extra vigilant on 斤 and 两!!!!

a painful lesson for all of us. so after this incident, we just walked back to our hotel with a heavy heart damn!! totally spoiled our mood for the whole trip!!!!

Day 5: we are supposed to visit HK island this day. but since that we are all still pulled by the sort-of con job, we decided to head back straight to Macau and see if we can recover the losses :lol: so after breakfast, we just do some last minute shopping and head straight to the ferry terminal.

Got to MGM and stayed there till evening before heading to Venetian. well, thanks to Venetian we all say goodbye to Macau happily. didnt recover the entire HKD20,774 but at least we got half of it back :D

i would still like to thanks Northasian for the great effort she put in in working out my itinerary. without her help, i wouldnt be able to get around HK so easily. arigato Northasian ^_^

Hi icecold, thanks for coming back and share both your happy and unhappy experience with us~ :D

Sorry I didn't know your mum would be interested in buying Chinese herbs/dried seafood from HK so didn't alert you guys....

ALMOST ALL THOSE CHINESE HERBS SHOPS & ELECTRONIC SHOPS ALONG THE NATHAN ROAD ARE DISHONEST!!! This is a known case and no locals will ever walk in those shops! Next time if you, your family or whoever you know will visit HK again, please tell them NOT to go in those shops. If you guys wanna buy Chinese herbs, go to Sheung Wan Dried Seafood Street (near Des Voeux Road West), and for electronic products, visit Sai Yeung Choi Street in Mongkok. I think I better post this alert out...

For the Tai Lei Loi Kei Pork Chop Bun, actually I have tried once and heard many times that their quality is downgrading very fast. I personally won't recommend people to try but you know, one haven't tried won't believe ma... and everyone's taste is different, so I won't ask people not to try.... anyway, I believe word of mouth... :P

Again, same as the Pork Chop Bun, I've told a few of forumers about the boring show of Symphony of Lights. I've ever taken a few of my overseas friends to watch the show and none of them wanted to stay & watch more than 5 mins, haha~~ :lol: So you don't need to be regret for not being able to catch the show. ;)

Ok la, happy for you that you all at least can win half of the money back. Next time come again and visit those places you've missed out this time lor~ :)

yes i think u better put an alert to inform all forumers about this "scam" case.. sincerely hope no one would fall into the shoes of this dishonest ppl damn :angry:

but nevertheless, i enjoyed both HK and Macau despite the cheating incident, i definitely would be back to vist HK again. there's lots of places that i'd never been yet..

anyway, still wanna thank you for all the help and input u had contributed.. thumbs up!!

last year going to hong kong with family, almost cheated by the 斤 and 两 at one of the medicine shop along nathan road . the shopkeeper try to fool us ard as well . but we have total 7 person and my brother insist don't want to buy, so they just cancel our transaction in rude way . We intially want to report to the tourism board , but that day is saturday and not sure how to report as well. We call the bank immediately afterwards to make sure the transaction is cancel . :)

Hi jamie80, you all are so lucky that the staff was willing to cancel the transaction! Please spread the words out to everyone you know who is planning to visit HK.

my friends and i were also being cheated recently by one of the chinese medicine/ herbs shop along Nathan road.

they had used the same way on cheating.. between the measurement of 斤 and 两. Some of us are not chinese literate, we could speak in cantonese but we couldn't really read the chinese characters. When the bill came, it was about HKD11XXX, we wanted to cancel and not buying the herbs. However, the shop personnel insists us to buy them, when we suggested to call for the police help, he then threaten us by saying that 'He is not an easy guy'. After he said that, i had questioned him by asking, what does he mean by his previous statement. and i insists on calling the police. :mad: He then later offering us to buy half of the medicines and give us a 32% discount and trying to play the friendly card with us. We wanted to leave but they didn't allow us to do so! :( Since we didn't have any choice, we just paid for the offer he had given to us. we felt so cheated & sad that we had been fooled by these type of 'con business man' :( . I had taken photos of the shops and the personnel also taken the shop's name card on the next day. I would like to ask is there a way that i could share them to alarm the others or report them officially?

beside this incident i enjoyed my trip in HK very much. I had been to HK for about 4-5 times. I didn't have any regrets but this incident had really disappoint me! :(

thanks in advance.

@jamie80 - luckily ur brother was alert enough to realize that its a trap.. my case is that the shopkeeper looks so like an honest and nice guy.. and it never raise our doubt against him but who knows what kinda wolf is behind him damn!! this is really a very unpleasant experience for me and my family.. i cant believe we just paid the HKD20,774 just like that. so in order to avoid anymore unpleasant things to happen, we tried to be more optimistic by comforting ourselves in a way that those herbs are for our own health well being and just let it be.

@lkagesokarage - sad to hear about the cheating case that happened to u as well. at least u are able to minimize ur loss. so it wasnt too bad after all. just alarm whoever u know that will visit HK and ask them to avoid all these shops at all cost!!!!!

those dishonest scumbags are just gonna suffer for themselves. words spread around fast these days via social network and soon we can see that they all will be down in biz!!

Hi Ikagesokarage, I'm sorry to learn about your case... :( You can send your complaint to Consumer Council (http://www.consumer.org.hk/website/ws_en/complaints_and_advices/how_to_complain/howtocomplain.html). They will publish on media from time to time to alert the public for scams and they may work with Tourism Board to alert tourists as well. Tell everyone you know too! Just ask them NOT to buy from any Chinese medicine shops and electronic shops along Nathan Road!

@jamie80 - luckily ur brother was alert enough to realize that its a trap.. my case is that the shopkeeper looks so like an honest and nice guy.. and it never raise our doubt against him but who knows what kinda wolf is behind him damn!! this is really a very unpleasant experience for me and my family.. i cant believe we just paid the HKD20,774 just like that. so in order to avoid anymore unpleasant things to happen, we tried to be more optimistic by comforting ourselves in a way that those herbs are for our own health well being and just let it be.

@lkagesokarage - sad to hear about the cheating case that happened to u as well. at least u are able to minimize ur loss. so it wasnt too bad after all. just alarm whoever u know that will visit HK and ask them to avoid all these shops at all cost!!!!!

those dishonest scumbags are just gonna suffer for themselves. words spread around fast these days via social network and soon we can see that they all will be down in biz!!

Don't be sad icecold, now you know you're not alone and there are so many victims out there! Just don't know why those Chinese medicine shops can still survive and even have new shops opening up while they almost have no local customers at all! Yes, just spread the words out and hopefully this can make them closed. Also let anyone you know who will visit HK know about our forum, let us help them to plan a HK trip with ease~ :D

@ ice cold, really feel so sorry and bad to hear about your damage. I hope you are feeling better now, at least no further damages or bad things had happened to you and your family.

for those who had been cheated and fooled like myself, all i can say is cheer up and stay positive. Beside this unfortunate experience, i believe you had a good time in HK..

as for now, i hope all of us can play our part by alarming our friends, family and everyone we know that wish to visit Hong Kong on this issue..

thanks everyone for the comfort and sharing..

thanks guys.. haha i believe im optimistic enough to cheer myself up despite that incident.. yeah overall i had a fun time in HK and Macau and i will definitely be back!!

let's do our part in alarming our friends and family..

@northasian, maybe u could create a thread on what are the common scams such as this chinese medicine shop case. sincerely hope no one will fall for this anymore.

• Like 1

thanks guys.. haha i believe im optimistic enough to cheer myself up despite that incident.. yeah overall i had a fun time in HK and Macau and i will definitely be back!!

let's do our part in alarming our friends and family..

@northasian, maybe u could create a thread on what are the common scams such as this chinese medicine shop case. sincerely hope no one will fall for this anymore.

Hi icecold, lucky that HK as a whole didn't leave you a bad image and really hope to see you more often here. In the future, if you face anymore problem like this or some businessman trying to threaten you, just call police and don't be afraid of anything... this is Hong Kong!

Also, thanks for your suggestion, in fact we've started a thread last year about "Complaint on Sales Malpractices". I've just updated the Chinese medicine shop case:

• Like 1

thanks Northasian for updating it to alert forumers and potential HK visitors.

well, i was thinking of calling the police initially, but after analyzing the situation, they did put up that the price is as per measurement, and its part of our carelessness plus the dishonesty of the shopkeeper that leads us to the chaos.

what do u think the outcome would be if we really did call the police? would like to know what's ur opinion on this..

thanks Northasian for updating it to alert forumers and potential HK visitors.

well, i was thinking of calling the police initially, but after analyzing the situation, they did put up that the price is as per measurement, and its part of our carelessness plus the dishonesty of the shopkeeper that leads us to the chaos.

what do u think the outcome would be if we really did call the police? would like to know what's ur opinion on this..

Hm... I guess you might not have to buy all those stuff if you really did call the police... Maybe those guys would just like the case happened on Ikagesokarage as it seems that they are quite afraid of police? Anyway it's just my guessing so it might not be true and maybe even you guys called the police but they couldn't do any help at the end...